Ride for the Roses 2004 Sponsorship
Donate to Help Cancer Survivors & Promote Cancer Research
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time out of your
life to visit and learn more about the cause and donating.
In the last few years, we've raised over $15,000 with generous sponsorships from family, friends, coworkers, and the St. Louis Strassenfest Organization.
Our goal this year is an ambitious $20,000! Donate online by clicking one of the buttons above.
Please consider sponsoring one or both of us for 2005 and help us achieve this goal!
When I was in college, I came home from class one day to find my roommate/friend very shaken up--completely out of character for him. I asked if he was all right, and he blurted out that he'd been diagnosed with testicular cancer earlier that morning, and would be going in for an operation to remove the cancerous portions.
I was stunned. Barely-twenty-somethings aren't supposed to have cancer--they're especially not supposed to have cancer...there! I didn't know what to do, what to say, or how to react. His diagnosis affected me in very different but still very significant ways. I didn't know what to say, how to help him, or anything!
Several years later when I saw the press conference in which Lance Armstrong announced his own diagnosis, it all came back in a rush. While I couldn't know what Lance was feeling, I could definitely empathize with his friends and the people around him--and their probable feeling of confusion and being a deer-in-the-headlights.
Unlike many other cancer charities, the Lance Armstrong Foundation reaches out to people like my friend, his family, and the people around them. Our commitment to The Foundation and raising funds is our way to help see that people don't have to go through what my friend or myself went through.
As testament to this, while we were attending the Ride for the Roses weekend in 2002, another friend and fellow cyclist was diagnosed with colon cancer. He sprang the news on me on my return. Nothing can avoid that deer-in-the-headlights feeling, but this time I knew more and was able to direct him to some excellent information available through http://www.laf.org. He, too, is now a survivor.
Please help us by donating, and use your company's matching gifts program. There are many ways to send in your donation:
- Directly through LAF's website
- You can donate online directly with LAF by clicking either of the buttons at the top of the page.
Note that in order to donate with these you'll be asked to provide some basic personal information such as name, address, email address, etc., and that the donation is made via a credit card. You can also mark your gift as "anonymous" when you donate this way so we won't know who you are (although we'd like to know so we can properly thank you!)
(As an added bonus, everyone who donates via this method is entered to win a trip to the Carribean.)
- Send money to us via Paypal
- You've made loads of money by selling on ebay all that stuff your Significant Other has been telling you to throw away for so long; why not see it put to good use? Click here to send money to Chris's account, and he'll insure that it gets to LAF in either Chris' or Pat's name.
- Send an old-fashioned check
- We can take check/money-order/etc. at the following address:
Ride for the Roses
XXX Cleeland (where XXX is either Pat or Chris, whichever you want to support)
St. Louis, MO 63116
- Whatever works best for you
- If there's something else that would work better, just let us know! We'll do everything we can.
- Multiply Your Money with Matching Gifts
- If your company provides a Matching Gifts benefit, LAF participates. This is a great way to extend your generosity! You'll simply need to submit your company's form either to us or directly to LAF. Contact us for more details.
- Tell Your Friends & Neighbors
- If you feel as strongly about helping cancer survivors and combating cancer, tell your friends and neighbors about LAF. Of course it'd be great if they'd donate in our names, but the important thing is to be aware and make a difference.
Chris Pat email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Phone +1 314 771 3860 Postal Mail
Chris & Pat Cleeland
St. Louis, MO 63116